RCE Southern Vietnam is the unique centre of the RCE network which is located in Vietnam and functions as an NGO. It was acknowledged by the United Nations University in 2011 and hosted by International University, Vietnam National University in Ho Chi Minh City (IU). Since 2021, RCE Southern Vietnam has been centrally managed and coordinated by the Center for Innovation and Technology Transfer (CITT), which is an official Center of International University (IU).
RCE Southern Vietnam mainly focuses on promoting the implementation of the Education for 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the United Nations in the Southeast and the Mekong Delta regions of Vietnam.
- Southeast Vietnam is the most highly urbanized and economically developed region in the country. It consists of Ho Chi Minh City and five provinces Dong Nai, Binh Duong, Ba Ria-Vung Tau, Binh Phuoc and Tay Ninh. While Ho Chi Minh city serves as a key center for finance, logistics, tourism, healthcare, and education, its adjacent provinces focus on high-tech industries and agriculture. However, due to booming development, the region is dealing with many emerging social and environmental issues.
- Mekong Delta is South-western region of Vietnam. It consists of a central municipality – Can Tho and 12 provinces: Long An, Tien Giang, Ben Tre, Vinh Long, Tra Vinh, Soc Trang, Bac Lieu, Ca Mau, Kien Giang, An Giang, Dong Thap, Hau Giang, which adjacent with Cambodia to the north, with Gulf of Thailand to the southwest, and with South China Sea to the southeast. This prime location makes it the most important source of agriculture and aquaculture for the country. In addition, possessing the natural area of 39,734 sq km, it is a unique natural habitat, teeming with thousands of plant and animal species that cannot be found anywhere else. Nonetheless, the region also faces more climate change challenges such as sea level rise, floods, a growing risk of drought due to decreasing rainfall and abnormal weather patterns.
Goals and objectives of the RCE:
To contribute towards the achievement of the goals of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) by integrating 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) of the United Nations into education and research activities in the South of Vietnam and the whole country.
To create an open ecosystem within which individuals and stakeholders including higher education institutions, organizations, community associations, government agencies in the South of Vietnam, the country, the region and worldwide share information and experiences with the aim at bringing ESD into the curriculum and activities such as social sustainability contribution and social entrepreneurship as well as collaborating in research aligned with SDGs to contribute to positive social impacts for the region.
1. To sustainably solve social issues at local, regional, or global scales.
RCE Southern Vietnam will collaborate with RCEs and stakeholders by bridging IU members with them to work on projects in terms of technology transfer or training. The project grants will be accessed from Vietnam national or provincial governments, NGOs, enterprises, or international organizations.
2. To achieve a sustainable future.
RCE Southern Vietnam will lead advocacy in terms of consulting, funding, mentoring, giving awards and/or certifications, etc. for activities on ESD organized by Youth Union’s clubs at IU and the region.
3. To nurture a social entrepreneurial mindset for students at IU and the region.
RCE Southern Vietnam will accelerate innovative competitions on ESD and social business creation for them as well as work with IU lecturers to integrate ESD and social business creation into their teaching curriculum to address potential challenges with the SDGs while maintaining profits of their business.
4. To raise awareness and responsibility of individuals and stakeholders on regional sustainable development.
RCE Southern Vietnam will frequently update ESD information and resources from RCE network on its webpages, Facebook pages, circulating them via its RCE email, and organizing workshops, etc.
5. To achieve progress on 17 SDGs for a more sustainable world.
RCE Southern Vietnam will participate forums, webinars, or conferences with RCE Global network to work together for effective implementations and improvisations of ESD to adapt with VUCA world